Wednesday 31 October 2012

New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc

Sauvignon Blanc is a knock-out grape.  She simply doesn't seem to disappoint.  I have yet to try a Sauv Blanc that has tasted like something else.  I believe this is why it is one of the white wine drinkers' darlings.

I have had my share of average Sauv Blanc's over the years.  This grape's "classic" home is in the Loire Valley in France (on my list of 'must see' places).   However, New Zealand really has made its' place on the map by its outstanding, great quality wines made from the Sauvignon Blanc grape.  It has the right climate, the right about of rain, cool evenings, good soil - that all lend themselves to perfect grape growing conditions for this variety.

My trip around the world continues as I selected a Sauvignon Blanc wine from New Zealand to review.

Astrolabe Sauvignon Blanc New Zealand 2011 $23.99



This is a bit pricier than some of New Zealand's SB selections but, my goodness, it is worth it!  The wine is light + bodied with a medium amount of acidity so it doesn't attack your tongue like some SB's do!  This is a mellower, more refined wine.  There are nice notes of lemon, tangerine and lime on the nose as well as some nice herbaceous notes.  The taste is really outstanding - crisp, clean, lingering yet subtle.  It had me at the first sip!

Many people that I know, myself included, tend to stick to what they know when it comes to this grape.  I would suggest that this lovely bottle deserves your attention and your respect.  The price point does not break the bank and it tastes really beautiful and juicy.  This is a bottle of wine to show up to a dinner party with and be proud of what you have contributed to the table.

In my ranking system - this lovely gets a "Hell Yes" from me!

Enjoy!
XO
C

2 comments:

  1. Uh-oh, you're turning me into a white lover! Where will I find the time? : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am thrilled to hear that! One of my favourite moments of the day is after we have put Mackenzie to bed and we can sit down and enjoy a nice glass of wine and chat about the day. Hope you are well!

      Delete