Monday 5 November 2012

Australian Pinot Noir - Little Yering 2011

Happy Monday!  The weekend went by in a flash, however, I was able to slow down and taste a bottle of Pinot Noir from Australia.  Something about a rainy Vancouver night that calls for a glass of red wine, or two!

My international wine tasting continues with Little Yering Pinot Noir 2011.  At $15.99 a bottle - this is a great deal if you are looking for a light red wine at a good price point that has some complexity and nice balance.



On the nose, I smelled quite a bit of spice and black cherry.  There was a nice hint of vanilla and it was not at all overpowering.  I checked on their website and they ferment this wine in French barrels that create a nice, soft vanilla flavour.

The taste was nice and light with delicate tannins.  I definitely tasted the black cherry again and it was a nice, juicy flavour in the mouth that mixed with some spice and some earthy qualities.

Pinot Noir is a delicate grape to grow.  It is temperamental but often worth the effort.  It has become one of my favourite grape varieties as it really has a distinct taste of where the grape was grown.

Australia, not really known for Pinot Noir, is a great hot climate for growing the more full and hearty black grape varieties like Shiraz and Cabernet Sauvignon.  However, the Yarra Valley, which is where this winery is located, has a cooler climate than the rest of the country making it an ideal location for a Pinot Noir grape to reach perfection.

This wine was not my favourite Pinot Noir that i have tasted - but at the price point of $15.99 - it is a great buy and pairs nicely with turkey and/or salmon dishes.  I would put this into the "if you are in the mood" category to try something new.

I hope you enjoy this wine and I would love your feedback on it!

Have a great week.
Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment