Wednesday 23 January 2013

B.C.'s Tantalus Pinot Noir 2010

Hello and Happy Wednesday!

Here in Vancouver our regular rain has returned and it actually feels good!  Vancouver is gorgeous in the sunshine and I trust everyone got outside as often as my family did...

In my wine education news - I have successfully earned my certificate in WSET Level 2.  My results were mailed to me yesterday and I am VERY pleased with my mark.  Whoo hoo!  I celebrated with a bottle of Burrowing Owl 2011 Pinot Gris at Cactus Club Park Royal Village last night.  Lovely...

Now - for the good stuff...

This week I tried Tantalus Vineyards' Pinot Noir 2010.  I picked it up at the Village VQA Wine Store in Edgemont Village.  Mary, the owner, is an amazing wealth of knowledge and assisted me with my selection.  It was $29.99 which fit perfectly with the other price points of the Pinot Noir's I have selected for this month.



It was a medium ruby colour and looked quite pretty in the glass.  It had a medium intensity on the nose with aromas of red cherry, red berries, sweet spice and violets.  It was refreshingly dry with a medium plus and medium fine grained tannins that balanced each other nicely.  It was medium bodied and had a quite pronounced flavour intensity.

This wine was nicely complex with just enough going on.  There was a nice long finish to this Pinot Noir that I really enjoyed.  I think this lovely B.C. Pinot Noir from Tantalus Vineyard falls into my "Hell Yes" category.  It is a nice expression of the grape variety enjoying a cooler climate and this comes out in the wine.  I would call this Pinot Noir 'Very Good'.

Tantalus's Pinot Noir 2010 can be enjoyed now but has potential for ageing.  This Pinot Noir comes from both German and French plantings:
This wine was produced from 2005 and 2006 Dijon plantings and 1985 Spatburgunder plantings. It was aged in a combination of new and old French barrique for 12 months.
At $29.99 - I consider this wine to be a great addition to your cellar.  It would be beautifully enjoyed with a fresh B.C. salmon dish.  

Here's to another fantastic wine from another fantastic B.C. winery!
Enjoy!
XO
C

1 comment: