Wednesday 16 January 2013

Red Burgundy - Louis Latour's Pinot Noir

Hello and Happy Wine Wednesday!

I hope your week is going exceptionally well...

Last night I attended Taste B.C. at the Pan Pacific Hotel in Vancouver with my dear friend Natalie Reynolds.  All proceeds of the event go to the B.C. Children's Hospital Foundation.  I was thrilled to be a part of this well run event - it was an amazing success that showcased all of the talented winemakers, wineries, craft breweries and local distilleries B.C. has to offer.  I will be writing a blog post on this event at the end of the month...stay tuned!

Continuing with my Pinot Noir reviews this month, I travel to Beaune, France in the Côte D'Or.  This appellation in Burgundy is Pinot Noir's classic home.  The soil type, climate and location of Beaune is where Pinot Noir reaches it apex.  This grape variety is NOT for the faint of heart.  Pinot Noir has been compared to 'sex in a glass' as well as being the work of the devil...hmmm.  Not sure that I am on board with either of these descriptions but it is obviously a grape variety of interest and intrigue to be sure!

I selected Louis Latour's 2011 Pinot Noir as my wine for the week.  I wanted a very 'classic' representation of the grape in its' classic home.  I picked it up at the B.C. Liquor store for $22.99 and I was very pleased with what was inside.

This Pinot Noir was a clear pale ruby colour.  It had a medium intensity on the nose and smelled of red currant, strawberry, red cherry, earth, white pepper and blackcurrant leaf - YUM!  I could not wait to take a sip.  This wine was dry with medium acidity and fine grained tannins.  There was a medium - alcohol and it was medium - in body as well.  The flavours matched those on the nose yet I tasted less pepper on the palate.  It was a nice, balanced wine.

This was a good bottle of wine for the price. It really tastes like the region...it is a great example of what a mid-priced Pinot Noir from Côte D'Or taste like.  Louis Latour's Pinot Noir tastes like a $30 bottle of wine to me which makes it a great value.  It is a VERY food friendly wine because it is not heavy.  This lovely red compliments food as opposed to being a stand alone.   This Pinot Noir would pair beautifully with smoked cheese, tuna, salmon or even pizza.


Louis Latour's 2011 Pinot Noir is a "Hell Yes!" wine...it is delicate but complex.  It is very easy to drink and because it is so food friendly and a great value - it will become one of my 'house' wines.

I wish you a wonderful day.
Thanks again and always for reading!

XO
C

No comments:

Post a Comment